Plaza de Armas (Main Square)
This main square is located in the center of the city. It is surrounded by tamarind trees which were brought from the Yapatera hacienda and planted there in 1870. The â€œPolaâ€ is located in the middle of the plaza. This marble statue represents liberty and was received by the city as a gift from President JosÃ© Balta, around the year 1870.
Calle Huancavelica 362. Visits: Mon-Fri 7:00-8:00 and 19:00-20:00; Sat-Sun 8:00-12:00.
Founded in 1588 and consecrated to the Virgin of the Assumption and the Archangel Michael. The interior of the church houses a Churrigueresque altarpiece representing Our Lady of Fatima, carved from Nicaragua city and covered in gold leaf, which was probably one of the first altarpieces in Peru. The main altar was reconstructed by the Spanish sculptor JuliÃ¡n Alagua after the 1912 earthquake, in the Plateresque style. As the principal church of the city, the cathedral houses the Piura parish archive.
Church of San Francisco
Corner of Calle Lima and MalecÃ³n Eguiguren 516: Telephone (073) 31-1111. Visits: Mon-Sun 8:00 to 12:00 and 16:00 to 19:00; Masses: 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. The old cloister was built by the Franciscan order during the 18th century and it was declared a national monument in 1969 and 1980.
Admiral Miguel Grau Museum and House
Jr. Tacna 662 Telephone: (073) 32-6541 / 33-1961. Visits: Mon-Sat 8:00-13:00 and 15:30-18:00
It was in this house that Admiral Grau was born and lived. He was the hero of the War of the Pacific with Chile (1879). The house is composed of four salons and a library. On exhibition are photographs, letters, diplomas and documents, as well as the furniture used by Admiral Grau.
Church of El Carmen
Jr. La Libertad 366, facing Plazuela Merino. Visits: Mon-Sun during mass.
This church dates from the 18th century and was declared a National Historical Monument in 1974. Today, it is the home of Piuraâ€™s Religious Art Museum
Corner of Av. Sullana and Jr. HuÃ¡nuco.Telephone: (073) 32-7541. Visits: Mon-Sat 8:00-20:00; Sundays 8:00-12:00.
It is composed of three rooms: Pot Makersâ€™ Room, Metallurgical Technology Room and the Gold Room. The Gold Room houses a collection of 61 gold objects which trace the development of the technology of the VicÃºs culture.
Los Ejidos National Tourism Center
Located 10 kilometers from the center of the city of Piura (approximately 15 minutes by car): Visits: Sat-Sun 8:00-18:00.
The focus of this center is a 20 square kilometer body of water created by the damming of the Piura River. The shores of this lake are inhabited by local species of animals, including iguanas, herons, grebes and wild geese.
Community of Catacaos
Located 12 kilometers from the city of Piura (15 minutes by car), this community is home to craftspeople devoted to the weaving of straw and cotton and the creation of gold and silver filigree.
Archaeological remains of NarihualÃ¡ (NarihualÃ¡ Fortress)
From the community of Catacaos it is 3 kilometers to this archaeological site (5 minutes by car). Visits: Mon-Sun 8:00-18:00. This site is believed to have been the capital of the pre-Inca TallÃ¡n culture. The constructions are composed of mud brick platforms joined with mud and organized into four sectors. The archaeological site covers a total area of 6 hectares.
The city of Chulucanas is an attractive destination, and it preserves the old city of Piura, the site of the second founding of Piura, as well as the archaeological remains of Vicus.
The ceramics made by this community are globally recognized.